Monday, December 2, 2013

A little Christmas magic

So we've now officially moved into the Christmas season. But this year we don't have that mystical extra spirit of Santa Claus. Both kids are "in the know" about Santa.

But does it mean the end of the magic of Christmas? Does it mean our holiday has lost that extra something?

We still put our stockings by the fireside with care. All set for St. Nick's Day. And my hubs and I will still sneak down to fill those stockings after the kids are sleeping--or at least when we think they're asleep.

And we're still planning on gifts coming from Santa. There will be some labeled from mom and dad and others from Santa. The kids won't get their presents until Christmas morning.

My youngest has seemed a bit sad at the idea of knowing that the Santa part was really mom and dad. But I've told him repeatedly that Santa and St. Nick are as real as he wants them to be.

And the fun part is that said youngest is determined to spring the Santa surprise on our dog, Lola. He wants to bring out the magic for her. I think that will help him see how Christmas really is about the spirit of giving and doing for others. And that by doing for others, it brings a satisfaction that is as fulfilling as giving yourself a great gift. Just heard him tell her "Lola, this is going to be our best Christmas ever!"

This year he's even asked about doing some volunteer work during the holiday season. I think inside he still wants to live up to his original career aspirations he expressed a few years ago--"Mom when I grow up, I want to be Santa Claus."

I think this is the year he starts to make good on that wish and play out the Santa magic for others. Well played, my son, well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment